Crooks with a taste for Polo clothing sprayed chemical agents to aid their getaways after robbing two different Macy's at metro area malls.
The robberies happened the same day,
Wednesday, at Southwest Plaza and later at Park Meadows mall, according to a joint media release from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office and the Lone Tree Police Department.
Surveillance photos of suspects were released Thursday.
The Southwest Plaza robbery, by three men, happened at about 5:30 p.m., police said. Two of three men grabbed clothing when they were approached by a store associate and security officer. One man pulled a canister and sprayed the two Macy's reps, then continued to use the spray as they fled the store. The irritant sickened customers who were in the store.
The second incident, at 7:35 p.m. at Park Meadows, involved a man and two women. Investigators believe the man wore a red Polo hooded jacket that was stolen earlier at Southwest Plaza.
Lone Tree officers arriving at Park Meadows found a store security officer suffering from a blast of pepper spray to her face.
The man and two women walked around picking out various pieces of Polo clothing. They went to an exit with no attempt to pay for the items and were confronted by the security officer. Another man, who was standing outside near the exit, came into the store and deployed pepper spray.
All four ran to vehicle and fled.
In both incidents the getaway vehicle is described as a light-colored SUV, possibly a Chevrolet Tahoe or GMC Yukon. The vehicle at Southwest Plaza was missing a front license plate.
The three suspects in Southwest Plaza were described as:
• Hispanic man, about 5-feet 6-inches tall, 180-pounds, wearing a black jacket and shirt with dark baggy pants and an orange Broncos ball cap. He had a goatee and a tattoo on the right side of his neck.
• Hispanic man, about 5-feet 9-inches tall and 170-pounds wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt, dark pants, and a black and grey ball cap. He has tattoos on his hands.
• Hispanic man about 5-feet 8-inches tall and 160-pounds, wearing a black pullover jacket with orange stripes under the arms.
The three robbers at Park Meadows were described as:
• Hispanic man, late-teens to early-20's, about 5-feet 9-inches tall and 170-pounds, wearing a red jacket with a gray shirt underneath and dark pants.
• Hispanic woman in her late-teens to early-20's, 5-feet 3-inches tall and 160-pounds, wearing a red pullover hoodie, dark pants and dark shoes.
• Hispanic woman late-teens to early-20's, 5-feet 7-inches tall and 150-pounds, wearing a black zip hoodie, red pants, dark shoes and large hoop earrings.
Anyone with information on the robberies, or who recognizes anyone in the surveillance photos, is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 720 913-7867 (STOP); Lone Tree Police Department Tip line 720 509-1160; or Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Tip Line 303 271-5612.