A Washington teen is recovering after he was seriously injured when a “duct tape challenge” went horribly wrong.(Photo: Screenshot)
A Washington teen is recovering after taking part in a "duct tape challenge” that went horribly wrong.
The so-called “duct tape challenge” involves wrapping duct tape around a person’s body and seeing how long it takes for the person to escape.
On Jan. 16, Skylar Fish, 14, and his two friends decided to take the challenge. Fish’s friends taped his legs and hands with duct tape while he was standing and waited for him to free himself, KCPQ-TV reported.
It wasn't the first time Skyler had taken the challenge, KIRO-TV reported.
But this time things didn't go as planned. Skylar struggled to get out of the tape and fell forward, striking his head on the corner of a window frame and ultimately slamming into the concrete floor.
“If he would have hit on it differently, an inch over, he could have died,” his mother, Sarah Fish, told KCPQ. “If his friend didn’t flip him over when he was having a seizure and choking up blood, he could have died.”
Siemny Kim - Photos from Siemny Kim's post | Facebook
The fall shattered Skylar’s eye socket and cheek bone and caused him to have an aneurysm, according to a GoFundMe page his mother created.
Skylar had emergency surgery and received 48 staples on his head, Sarah Fish said in the GoFundMe post.
"I'm just, actually, really lucky to be alive," Skylar told KIRO.
Fish is currently recovering at Seattle Children's Hospital. He and his mother are urging other teens to be cautious and avoid taking the viral “duct tape challenge.”
"I want people to stop and think that there are so many risks to any of these challenges," Sarah Fish told KIRO. "They're dangerous."
Follow @MaryBowerman on Twitter.