BUENOS AIRES - Former Argentinian soccer star Diego Maradona accused his ex-wife, Claudia Villafane, on Monday, of plundering around nine million US dollars worth of his assets amid the alleged fraud
Former Argentine soccer player Diego Maradona gestures from a balcony as he attends the Argentine First Division soccer match between Boca Juniors and Quilmes at La Bombonera stadium in Buenos Aires July 18, 2015. [Photo/Agencies]
The former coach of Argentina's national squad listed the court cases that involve the mother of two of his children, through a press release given to Argentinian media.
"I want to show it is true that in a conversation I had with Claudia Villafane, I told her she was a thief. I have also said this publicly on various occasions and during the court proceedings I started against her due to these facts where I was a victim," said the former player for Argentina in the press release.
Maradona said he has began various court cases against Villafane in Argentina and in the United States. So far he has had favorable rulings.
"They have tried everything possible to make me give up my claims. They have used my grandson to try to make me change my mind but they will not be successful because what I am asking for is fair and right," added Maradona when talking about his ex-wife and her family.
Fifty-five-year-old Maradona also sent an audio to Argentinian channel America to accompany the press release. During the audio, which lasted a little over three minutes, the former player confirmed terms and promised to continue "fighting."
"I know this will distance me from my grandson. My daughters think I am the guilty party. However, I will continue being blamed until she (Villafane) gives me back what she stole," said Maradona.
"I will continue this way even though it breaks my heart not to be able to see my grandson. I will continue to fight," added the former soccer star.
In 2015, Maradona publicly claimed Villafane, who he had been married to for almost 14 years between 1989 and 2003, was responsible for stealing almost nine million U.S. dollars.
The 52-year-old woman is accused of buying three apartments in a luxurious tower in Miami, Florida, United States. The apartments have been valued at two million U.S. dollars each. She is also accused of having three million U.S. dollars deposited in a Uruguayan bank. All of these investments went undeclared.