Blog

China confirmed its second imported case of the Zika virus last night, with both patients having travelled from Venezuela.

The latest victim, whose sex and age were not disclosed, arrived at

Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport on Friday night displaying symptoms. Blood and urine samples came back positive for the infection yesterday, according to the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

The patient, who had worked in Venezuela for three years, had been in contact with a friend there 12 days before developing a fever. That friend had a “mosquito-borne disease in January”, the centre said. Before arriving in Guangzhou, the passenger transferred flights in the Netherlands and Russia.

READ MORE: Man infected with Zika virus recovering and risk of outbreak in China low, state media reports

China confirmed its first imported case of Zika on Tuesday last week. The patient was a 34-year-old Chinese man who had returned from Venezuela on January 28. He works for a company in Dongguan in Guangdong province, and had travelled home via Hong Kong and Shenzhen. He had been quarantined in a Ganxian hospital since February 6.

The man was reported to be recovering and people in close contact with him had not shown any symptoms of infection, state media reported last week.

Drug treatment was suspended around February 10 as he showed signs of recovery, reports said.

Few cases of the virus have been reported in Asia, but the World Health Organisation has declared a global emergency to combat its spread.

READ MORE: Man infected with Zika virus recovering and risk of outbreak in China low, state media reports

The virus is transmitted to humans through the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito.

The risk of the virus spreading on the mainland was low, state-run news agency Xinhua reported on Thursday, citing the country’s healthy authority.

So far, 26 countries have confirmed cases of the virus, which is linked to microcephaly – a birth defect that causes babies to be born with small heads.

Brazil has recorded more than 1.5 million cases, while Colombia has also been hard hit, with more than 31,500 cases. More than 5,000 of the patients are pregnant women.

After declaring a global health emergency two weeks ago, the WHO said it was up to individual countries to give out travel advice.

Browse photography at Denver.Gallery.