DENVER - Sometimes we assume kids aren't the healthiest of eaters. But that's not the case for everyone.
We met an 11-year-old from Denver who is
breaking that mold. Rain Adams is the Colorado winner of the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge, a nationwide recipe challenge for kids.
Her winning turkey chili recipe promotes healthy eating that is affordable for families.
Adams will join First Lady Michelle Obama for a healthy lunch followed by a visit to the White House Kitchen Garden.
Recipe for Rain's turkey chili: Makes approx. twelve 1 cup servings
1 pound 93 percent lean ground turkey
1 medium red bell pepper
1 small zucchini
1 white onion
1 cup carrots
3 kale leaves with stems removed
2 14.5 oz. cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes in juice
1 15 oz. can of dark red kidney beans – drained and rinsed
1 15 oz. can of pinto beans – drained and rinse
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup old-fashioned oats
¼ cup chili powder
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1. Brown turkey in a non-stick skillet and set aside.
2. Using a food processer, chop pepper, zucchini, onion, carrots and kale. Add to a large stock pot and set to medium heat. When vegetables start to sizzle, cover with a lid and sweat for 10 minutes. Do not remove lid during this time.
3. When vegetables are tender, remove lid and add chicken stock, ground turkey and all remaining ingredients.
4. Simmer on low heat for 30-45 minutes.
5. Enjoy your delicious chili!
The secret to this thick, delicious chili is the oats!
The oats add whole grain fiber and work to thicken the chili.
The full list of winners can be found online at pbs.org/lunchtimechallenge
(KUSA-TV © 2015 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)